Our Approach to Learning
The learning programme in our Nursery is based on the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. Our aim is to provide holistic learning in a safe, happy and stimulating environment through which all children are challenged and make outstanding progress. To develop confident, happy children, equipped with foundations to nurture a lifelong love of learning.
We build confident communicators supporting every child as an individual across development in all areas of the Early Years and Foundation Stage. We help every child to grow up feeling confident about their own identity, in a spirit of friendship, understanding fairness and the rights of others, valuing diversity, and ready to be a British citizen.
The EYFS Curriculum has seven main areas of learning –
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical development
- Literacy (Reading and Writing)
- Understanding the world
- Expressive Arts and Design
Our Early Years provision at is based upon four key principles:
- A unique child- We recognise that every child is a competent learner who can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured. We believe that children develop in individual ways and at varying rates and that their attitudes and dispositions to learning are influenced by feedback from others; we use praise and encouragement as well as celebration and rewards to encourage and develop a positive attitude to learning.
- Positive relationships- Children learn to be strong and independent from the secure relationships they develop with others, which is why we pay great importance in develop caring, respectful and professional relationships with our children and their families.
- Enabling environments- We recognise that the environment plays a key role in supporting and extending our, children’s development. Through observations we assess the children’s interests, stages of development and learning needs, before planning challenging, stimulating and achievable activities and experiences to extend our children’s learning.
- Learning and development- Our early year’s provision is organised in such a way as to ensure that our children are able to explore and learn securely and safely. There are areas where the children can be active, challenge their understanding and be quiet. Our children’s learning takes place both within and outside the classroom, within different learning areas where children are able to find and locate equipment and resources independently. These areas enable our children to become confident, independent learners.
Personal Development Curriculum
At Oasis Academy Connaught every child’s personal development is important to us.We have numerous ways of supporting Personal development by:
- Putting the Characteristics of Effective Learning at the heart of our curriculum
- Playing and exploring- engagement
- Active learning- motivation
- Creating and thinking critically- thinking
We believe in encouraging our children to be independent, confident in their emotional well-being and confident to make their own choices from the free-flow activities that are carefully planned to further their interests. We support our children to be inquisitive and curious through the learning opportunities we provide.
Learning important skills
We help the children manage their lives, now and in the future, and help them to learn essential, life skills, including:
- Cooking- Children learn to follow instructions, learn new skills and how to eat healthily.
- Self-care- we encourage children to dress themselves, feed themselves when they feel hungry through a rolling snack and regulate their feelings.
- Teaching Jigsaw which promotes “emotional literacy”, builds resilience and nurtures mental and physical health.
- Road Safety
- Internet Safety
- Physical Development is taught through PE sessions and developed through continuous provision supporting gross and fine motor skills.
Our values and vision at Oasis Academy Connaught promote personal development and wellbeing:
Be brave - be brave enough to make good choices, to take good risks and make the world a better place.
Be Brilliant - take pride in all you can do
Believe - believe in yourself
Be your best!