Delivering the Curriculum
In the Early Years, children learn through a wide variety of approaches. This includes:
- Direct adult teaching input
- Learning through play in a carefully planned environment
- Learning through peers
- Learning through scaffolding during play
- Learning through small groups and focus activities
- Experiences, trips and visits
Children in the Early Years need a balanced curriculum which includes teaching which has been carefully planned according to their developing needs and interests, as well as allowing plenty of time for spontaneous child-initiated learning. They need organised, adult-guided learning to bring new ideas and experiences into their lives and for the direct teaching of new skills and concepts. These will deepen or consolidate their learning over time.
Approaching the curriculum – Phonics
Phonics is delivered through Bookwings Phonics, which is an immersive, multi-sensory approach designed to capture children’s interests. This approach is closely linked to the OCL Reading intent, promoting the use of high-quality texts and develop a love of reading.
Approaching the curriculum – Literacy and The Write Stuff
The Write Stuff is used in EYFS to develop children’s vocabulary, talk and writing. Embedding this through the use of the FANTASTIC lenses in Nursery to promote talk and the development of vocabulary in all areas of learning lays a strong foundation for the use of the lenses to form the basis of writing in Reception and beyond. The approach is rooted in early language development, inspiring and introducing new words to children in meaningful ways to enable them to navigate the world.
Approaching the curriculum – Maths
Maths is structured across the Early Years phase to ensure a progression of skills that build from Nursery through to Reception. The approach uses NCETM Numberblocks as the main tool for learning, however it is also influenced by NCETM Mastering Number and White Rose Maths.
Personal Development Curriculum
At Oasis Academy Connaught every child’s personal development is important to us.We have numerous ways of supporting Personal development by:
- Putting the Characteristics of Effective Learning at the heart of our curriculum
- Playing and exploring- engagement
- Active learning- motivation
- Creating and thinking critically- thinking
We believe in encouraging our children to be independent, confident in their emotional well-being and confident to make their own choices from the free-flow activities that are carefully planned to further their interests. We support our children to be inquisitive and curious through the learning opportunities we provide.
Learning important skills
We help the children manage their lives, now and in the future, and help them to learn essential, life skills, including:
- Cooking- Children learn to follow instructions, learn new skills and how to eat healthily.
- Self-care- we encourage children to dress themselves, feed themselves when they feel hungry through a rolling snack and regulate their feelings.
- Teaching Jigsaw which promotes “emotional literacy”, builds resilience and nurtures mental and physical health.
- Road Safety
- Internet Safety
- Physical Development is taught through PE sessions and developed through continuous provision supporting gross and fine motor skills.
Our values and vision at Oasis Academy Connaught promote personal development and wellbeing:
Be brave - be brave enough to make good choices, to take good risks and make the world a better place.
Be Brilliant - take pride in all you can do
Believe - believe in yourself
Be your best!